Monday 10 March 2014

Pure - Julianna Baggott - Review

Title:         Pure
series:        Pure
#:                1
Author:     Julianna Baggott

 We know you are here, our brothers and sisters . . . 
Pressia barely remembers the Detonations or much about life during the Before. In her sleeping cabinet behind the rubble of an old barbershop where she lives with her grandfather, she thinks about what is lost-how the world went from amusement parks, movie theaters, birthday parties, fathers and mothers . . . to ash and dust, scars, permanent burns, and fused, damaged bodies. And now, at an age when everyone is required to turn themselves over to the militia to either be trained as a soldier or, if they are too damaged and weak, to be used as live targets, Pressia can no longer pretend to be small. Pressia is on the run.

Burn a Pure and Breathe the Ash . . . 
There are those who escaped the apocalypse unmarked. Pures. They are tucked safely inside the Dome that protects their healthy, superior bodies. Yet Partridge, whose father is one of the most influential men in the Dome, feels isolated and lonely. Different. He thinks about loss-maybe just because his family is broken; his father is emotionally distant; his brother killed himself; and his mother never made it inside their shelter. Or maybe it's his claustrophobia: his feeling that this Dome has become a swaddling of intensely rigid order. So when a slipped phrase suggests his mother might still be alive, Partridge risks his life to leave the Dome to find her. 

When Pressia meets Partridge, their worlds shatter all over again.



I love going into a book not knowing a thing of what is to come. No I don't really read the blurbs very often, the covers are what draw me in. The butterfly stuck in a dome had me as soon as I saw it. And then as soon as I started reading I didn't want to stop, the world that Julianna Baggott had created inside and outside the dome had me entranced and I had to just keep reading.

Okay lets start with what I didn't like in this book. The names. Pressia, Helmud, Sedge. I don't know why. Was it to make it more out there like the world that was created. When I started reading I called her Precious instead, although how do you said it really, I said Presh-jur, but the sh and j were mushed together, if that makes sense..

This book only had 400 or so pages but it took me forever to read, the story reads slowly. Does that make sense as well. I don't speed read, I read at the pace of the words, and because this book is filled with little sentences, or big sentences broken up so many times, with so many pauses.

"He walks out of the room, across the hall. There’s a door. He opens it and finds the communications room, all lit up, a huge blue-lit screen, a console of gauges, wires, keyboard, speakers."

Ok so who cares about those things because this book was amazing. You can easily connect to the characters and the world/s that you're reading about. Pressia with her doll head as a hand, making butterflies out of scraps she's managed to find in her destroyed and broken world, where nobody is perfect but that's what makes you fit in. And inside the dome where everything is made to be perfect but Partridge still wants out and you see the worlds all anew, from another perspective.

This is a very dark story, with beasts, dusts, secrets, deaths, hidden traps that you would never see coming. It is written from many points of view, I've come to love this after reading this, knowing what's happening with each character and within each one.

I am in love with the creepy world that has been created and am glad that there is a second book that I can read to learn more






Still to come..







No comments:

Post a Comment